Wednesday, June 1, 2016

My New Life With Cancer

My Life changed forever on May 13th when I was diagnosed with adenocarcinoma (stomach cancer). Sometimes I still find it hard to believe that I have been diagnosed with cancer for a third time in my life. I am still rebounding from this diagnosis and trying to find some resemblance of my previous self.

The week before what resulted in a trip to the emergency room, I finished a sprint triathlon at my alma mater, Wartburg College, shipped my hubby off to India for a week, started morning workouts with Outdoor Basic training, and working on projects around the house. Things seemed fine.

The problem with stomach cancer is that it does not present with many symptoms. I can see a few of them in hind site after being diagnosed (decreased appetite, gassy-ness, back pain) but most were in the recent weeks of the diagnosis. I was going to call and make a doctor appointment when the unexpected happened.

Being home alone with Leo on work travel across the world, I had been to outdoor basic training and work earlier that day. I had severe abdominal pain that evening and had been talking with my mom on the phone about it. Later that night, I had some nausea and then vomited blood. Scary to say the least. I was in shock and mom helped to get the ambulance to my house, and that was the beginning of my nightmare.

I was eventually admitted to the ICU because of the loss of blood and given great nursing care at Mercy Hospital. After a stomach scope and CT scan the next day, the results were in. Stomach cancer. I didn't have it in me to tell Leo until he was back Saturday night. But he stayed with me although he hadn't slept and traveled all of the way from India. My parents were also with me, by my side, the whole time, and Matt and Heather also stopped by to check on me.

Although Mercy in Cedar Rapids gave me great care inpatient, since I have all of my medical history at the University of Iowa, so I chose to go there for cancer treatment. I called right away on Monday morning to Patty Swicherath, who I have been seeing at the survivorship clinic got me an appointment for the following day with Dr. Berg. I did everything to get my records and tests from Mercy Hospital released to UIHC to get the ball rolling.

Although I have gone through this experience, I have been so dearly thankful for my family, all of my friends who have expressed concern and kind words and of course my two dear dogs who are with me daily. Without any of you, my sanity would have been gone out the window. Believe me there have been a few days that I have lost it, but now I am moving on with the fight.

Much love,
Amy B.

4 comments:

  1. Amy I'm sending you so much love, you're such a kind soul and more than anything you are a survivor! Stay strong lady!!! ♡♡

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy it doesn't seem that long ago since I had first met you as campers. But the years fly by and somethings come around again. Though we haven't talked much I think of you often and admire the career you have chosen. Perhaps it was that career that was meant to be was also in a way meant to prepare you for this diagnoses. I hope and pray for you and hope the treatment does so well that you well not have to be on it for long. :D Hoping beyond hope. It's what we have to do as cancer survivors and especially childhood cancer survivors. As or survivorship road is a long one. Though at ever turn and dark spot in the road ahead leaves the feelings of the unknown. It may and will be scary at times, especially now. But as I have said before when you at your lowest in moments of despair, think of us, you support group. We may not be able to be with you in person. But the human spirit is strong and has a funny way about it, it endures, and it' full power is beyond our human understanding. But I believe in the power of good thoughts and prayers and know that good vibes and often make things all the better. Even when we are at our lowest. Continued prayers, hugs, and much love dear friend.<3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thoughts and prayers for you daily!

    ReplyDelete